Painter and graphic artist. Studied at Faculty of Natural Sciences, St Petersburg University (1906-8), Academy of Arts (1908-10) under Makovsky, in private school of Bernshteyn (1910-12) under Bilibin, Roerich and Shervud, and at Art School, Kiev (1912-16) under Krichevsky and Menk. Was strongly influenced by work of Vrubel. From 1916 lived and worked in Tashkent. From 1916 taught at Art College, Tashkent. Director of PROLETKULT Theatre (1922) and Central State Museum of Art of Asia (1919). Participated in exhibitions from 1920. Member of AKHRR (1928-32) and society Masters of the New East (from 1928).